Tuesday, October 19, 2010

WOW - So excited - need new list!

Hmmm... as per Don Casey's "This Old Boat" I had made a priority list last year of the things to do on the boat. It was hard to really make that list hard and fast as I was not completely aware of what the boat might NEED as we were just coming into possession of the boat and Getting out to sail was a very high item on the TO DO LIST!

Well.. end of season 1 and my list is longer.. but also different, as MOST of the items are for fixing her up.. not making her functional.

Near the end of the season this year we got a furling unit for the boat.
Ultra Furl 300 - not new - used, but locally made and supported. So if I did need parts it was easy peasy. We also got a 135% Genoa with it. It had a torn luff tape. SO it was off to the sailloft to have things looked at.

We found that the furling Genoa was MOSTLY good. It needed a new luff tape, and typical stitching fixes and the foot near the luff re-enforced where it crosses the life lines.. typical.

The main on the other hand was shown and pointed out to me to be... well not so good. The sail material in several area was paper weak, and would tear with almost no pressure. We can bandage it to "working" for a couple of hundred, but we are going to look into another new main.

So, new sails - well thats a bit of money - but adds to the boat.  SO the rest of the budget this year is not huge.

I will need a new list - and new priorities - I would like to get the TOPSIDES painted this year as I am replacing wood trim which can be all off the boat.. and I need to re-bed the chainplates at least .. so why not do all the fittings so that I can remove - clean - prep - paint - re-bed (epoxy fill holes and re-drill) and put all the hardware back on a sexy clean glossy deck!!!



1 comment: