Monday, November 8, 2010

Working on the boat in the yard!

Boat is in the yard, with the mast up, and I am trying to set it up so that I can work over the winter when the weather is warm enough to do so. Mast up.. hmmm this was tougher than I thought it was going to be, I am having to "cut and paste" the tarps so that I can keep it covered but also still access the boat to work. Picked up some interstrip 299e from Westmarine for $18 a can.. good deal. I will add some pics to this post in a couple of days.

 Covering the boat from the US spy camera's ;) Yep camo green!! What can I say it was on sale at Princess Auto, so when you want a 20 x 40 ft tarp you buy whats going. That is my lovely and smart wife Dawn, patching the slits we made for the sidestays - this cover goes all around the standing rigging! :)
 This is a shot from the companionway entrance forward. As you can see the cover is steep, it should get most rain and snow on a path down before it can build and cause an issue... I hope..  I do hope to leave some areas exposed during the winter, so I hope this will work.. Can you see the boat?? didnt think so ;)
 YEP.. me, asking for my phone back, so no more pictures of me can be taken.
 ok she moved away.. now am I thinking hard? or hardly thinking?? hmmm




 The burlap from the inside - yes a yellow mustard colour, and the cushions at the moment are the same colour. One of my wifes plans - said it was last year as well ;) is to cover those cushions. A friend is giving us some cockpit cushions, so maybe we might match those once we get them.
 The bare fibreglass once the burlap is off. This will be getting a nice white paint job.. anything past that.. I have not decided yet. I have heard of people putting insulation in, and then a marine grade carpet.. maybe.. but at the moment white will brighten it up.. and I am not sure how much I want to do with this for now.
 This will be the paint I will be going with.. Two reasons. 1. its cheap.. $18 a gallon, and 2. its one of the only Alkyd whites around that I could find. Alkyd paint is getting harder and harder to find.

1 comment:

  1. Hey James, you have the first stealth G26 with that cammo tarp you have from Princess Auto but you're right though, price is everything!

    What are you using the interstrip 299e on? I'm not familiar with it

    ReplyDelete